Tuesday, May 1, 2012

Fragments of Poetry

Occasionally, I will share with you the work of a few of my favorite Poets. I've been collecting excerpts for many years. Collecting could mean underlining in a book of collected poems, or I may quote them in my Journal entries.

Today I will highlight William Stafford. Particularly, An Oregon Message c 1987.

The pieces I have chosen help support my intentions for this "Walk With Father Nature" blog:

To be grateful for the gifts we are given,
to share these gifts with others.

Enjoy these fragments of poetry from William Stafford. Savor the message.

In the introduction Stafford writes:

"Each poem is a gift, a surprise that emerges as itself..."



"Waiting in Line"

There have been evenings when the light
has turned everything silver, and like you
I have stopped at the corner and suddenly
staggered with the grace of it all: to have
inherited all this, ...









"Next Time"

Next time what I'd do is look at
the earth before saying anything. I'd stop
just before going into a house
and be an emperor for a minute
and listen better to the wind
          or to the air being still.











"On Earth"

The lives we have, while we have them,
can measure time , before and after
today, to use or give away.

On earth it is like this, a strange
gift we hold, while we look around.









"Little Rooms"

There are rooms in a life, apart from others, rich
with whatever happens, a glimpse of moon, a breeze.
You who come years from now to this brief spell
of nothing that was mine: the open, slow passing
of time was a gift going by. I have put my hand out
on the mane of the wind, like this, to give it to you.

(Click on any photo to enlarge)





Photo Locations:

  1. Santa Catalina Mountains - (Santa Catalina Mtns.) Arizona
  2. Beverly Beach State Park, (Beverly Beach) Oregon
  3. National Veteran's Cemetery - SantaFe, (Santa Fe)New Mexico
  4. Whitefish Point - (Whitefish Point) Lake Superior - Michigan

An Oregon Message  c 1987   by William Stafford

2 comments:

  1. Wow, what a mood you have captured here, Dad! The black & white photography matches Stafford's words perfectly.

    I found this one particularly inspiring.

    Thanks, Daddy!

    Sarah

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sarah:

    I've always loved Stafford. Also in An Oregon Message is "Keeping a Journal" which is how you keep your exquisite Journal; especially the last (2nd) verse... see it.

    Thank you Sarah.

    Love,

    Dad

    ReplyDelete

VISITORS:
Please write a comment in the white box. I value your thoughts. I will reply to all who write.

When finished, sign your name, click down arrow, select "Name/URL", or "Anonymous", then click "Publish". Thank you.