Monday, March 29, 2021

Directions to My House (in early spring)

 


You know where the creek

meanders through the small woodlot,

and enters the open meadow

where the Eastern Meadowlarks

prefer to sing each spring?



Hang a left there,

and walk through the crop field

that was in corn last fall

and soybeans the year before;

here you will hear the

Sandhill Cranes yodeling

and see them plucking invertebrates

from the saturated soil between the rows.



Then continue westerly along

the north shore of McCarthy Lake

where circles of Cinnamon Ferns

will thrive this summer.



From here you will spot a pair of Mute Swans

circling around the lake's perimeter

searching for open water.

When they land, notice their angelic wings

as the last skim of ice melts away.



Now turn north, uphill, through the field

deep with winter-matted grasses,

and follow the faint deer trail

along the east slope of the woods

until it crosses the gravel road.



You will now be under 

some splendid walnut trees.

Take your time here, 

because you need to step carefully

through the arching canes 

bearing short thorns

where I pick Wild Black Raspberries

in early July.



Take the next deer trail on the west side

of the vernal wetland, where Spring Peepers

have just begun to call

on nights when it's warm enough.



You must now ascend what was once 

our cross-country ski trail

through Red Oaks, Black Oaks,

and a few Shagbark Hickories.



As you step onto the lawn,

notice my favorite tree;

this American Beech, with leaves

that were yellow in October,

copper in December, and now appear

winter-bleached and tissue-thin.



From here, if you look northwest,

you will see me in my library

writing directions for another season.




You don't need to knock,

or even ring the doorbell.

I've been expecting you.

Please come in.

We'll talk about 

your walk.

© 2021 Richard Havenga



Photo Locations:

1. 2. 8. 9. & 10. Home Woods - Cannonsburg, Michigan

3. Grattan Township - Kent County - Michigan

4. & 5. McCarthy Lake - Grattan Township - Kent County - Michigan

6. & 7. Townsend Park - Kent County - Michigan

11. Home Library










4 comments:

  1. "I've been expecting you. Please come in. We'll talk about your walk." ~ from: "Directions to My House (in early spring)" by Poet/Photographer Richard Havenga @ Walk With Father Nature: https://walkwithfathernature.blogspot.com/2021/03/directions-to-my-house-in-early-spring.html

    ReplyDelete
  2. Rich, this was truly a fun and descriptive walk to your house—a great adventure. I hope the Beech tree survives. It looks a little beat up by the Michigan winter. Nice job!
    Helen.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you Helen. I appreciate that you took the time to reply here at my WWFN site, and not just on Facebook or LinkedIn. It's easy, but few readers do it. Most people just settle for a "like" on FB. Please continue to read, view, and share my blog posts.
    Mary told me this one made her cry: it was the second to the last verse that got to her. Then, that made me cry too.
    Love,
    Rich

    ReplyDelete
  4. I loved this poetic invitation, Dad! That photo of the swan with its wings catching the light is magnificent! Looking forward to my next journey to your beautiful home! Love, Sarah

    ReplyDelete

VISITORS:
Please write a comment in the white box. I value your thoughts. I will reply to all who write.

When finished, sign your name, click down arrow, select "Name/URL", or "Anonymous", then click "Publish". Thank you.