Thursday, September 2, 2021

Lillian

 



Her soul longs to go home,

but her frail body lingers,

with only 77 pounds

to sustain her weakness.


Two months shy of 99,

her bony hands try to guide

the straw to her mouth

in slow, uncertain motion.


Hearing weak. Sight poor.

No appetite.

Her voice

a faint murmur.


Helplessness hangs heavy upon her.

Dependency drags her down daily.


She bears invisible pain,

yet never complains.

Long sleep is her escape

and salvation.


~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~


This September morning 

Lillian passed

through Heaven's gate

and will now see with new eyes

the Glory of God. 

© 2021 Richard Havenga


In loving memory of

Lillian Marie Havenga 

October 22, 1922 ~ September 2, 2021

4 comments:

  1. In loving memory of my mother, Lillian Havenga (October 22, 1922 ~ September 2, 2021).

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have such fond memories of your Mother back when we were all at Knapp School. I especially treasure your Mother's kindness when my Mom passed so many years ago.
    Sincerest condolences to you and your sisters and families.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Dad, you were such a loving & loyal son to Grandma. She loved you dearly. Thank you for all the visits & hand-picked flowers you brought her from your gardens. You made her feel so loved. ❤️ Sarah

    ReplyDelete
  4. Lena Detmers is my Grandma and I have a lot of fond memories of Lillian as a child. She was one of the sweetest, kindest and most gentle people I've ever met. My thought and prayers are with your family as she will be dearly missed.

    ReplyDelete

VISITORS:
Please write a comment in the white box. I value your thoughts. I will reply to all who write.

When finished, sign your name, click down arrow, select "Name/URL", or "Anonymous", then click "Publish". Thank you.