Monday, May 18, 2020

Song Without Words


The persuasive calls
of migrating spring birds
pull me outside during
April and May.

I feast on their
delicious colors
with my eyes:
Scarlet Tanager, 
Blackburnian Warbler. 



I drink their 
sweet syllables
with my ears:
Meadowlark, 
Song Sparrow.




Even their names
are pleasing to pronounce:
Rose-breasted Grosbeak,
Bay-breasted Warbler.





The vowels
forming in my mouth:
Indigo Bunting,
Bobolink.


The consonants
flitting across my tongue:
Blue-gray Gnatcatcher,
Chestnut-sided Warbler.



The syllables
fluttering between my lips:
Black-throated Green Warbler,
American Redstart.

Better than anything
on iHeartRadio.
Birdsong
without words.
© 2020 Richard Havenga




Photo Locations:

1. Scarlet Tanager - Home Woods - CannonsburgMichigan

2. Song Sparrow - Home Woods

3. Rose-breasted Grosbeak - Dixon, Illinois

4. Bay-breasted Warbler - Home Woods

5. Indigo Bunting - Egypt Valley Trail - Kent County - Michigan

6. Bobolink - Allegan State Game Area - Trails - Allegan County - Michigan

7. Blue-gray Gnatcatcher - Home Woods

8. Black-throated Green Warbler - Home Woods






1 comment:

  1. "Better than anything on iHeartRadio. Birdsong without words." ~ from "Song Without Words" by Poetographer Richard Havenga @ Walk With Father Nature: https://walkwithfathernature.blogspot.com/2020/05/song-without-words.html

    ReplyDelete

VISITORS:
Please write a comment in the white box. I value your thoughts. I will reply to all who write.

When finished, sign your name, click down arrow, select "Name/URL", or "Anonymous", then click "Publish". Thank you.