Monday, December 30, 2013

Silver Bells - Silver Prayers




It's been raining
and freezing,
but the light;
it's always the light
that invites.
So I go outside.

Winter has deepened
into December.
Calm and cold. 
Snow and freezing rain.

Silent in the woods,
except for drops dripping.
A sound so soft
it imitates silence.


A sound
I try to gather
and carry into
a future poem.

Despite dusk pushing
its way into this day,
I walk...

down the wooded slope,
into the foggy wetland,
to discover this gift:


Silver bells
and Winterberry,
and trees inverted,
reflected within
this icy drop.


The looking
and the listening
stills me
within this
calm cathedral.

Silver bells,
like silver prayers,
ringing
in quiet gratitude.
©  2013  Richard Havenga



Photo LocationHome Woods

Click on photos to enlarge.



6 comments:

  1. Breath-taking beauty right in our "home woods"--when we take time to see it. Lovely.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Dad, this poem is beautiful! You should be very proud of how far you've come in your journey through poetry. I'm glad I got to join you this round! : ) It's been good for my soul to be home with Father Nature, sharing the beauty that surrounds you and Mom out here as we cross-country ski and watch the falling snow outside the window. I'm so grateful you continue to share your love of nature with me.
    Love,
    Sarah

    ReplyDelete
  3. Marcia:

    I appreciate your words of admiration. Let's keep building each other up on our blogs, and passing them around to our friends. Blessings to you and your family for 2014.

    Gratefully,

    Richard

    ReplyDelete
  4. Sarah:

    Coming from such a good writer like yourself, I appreciate your words of confidence in my poetry. It has been a pleasant journey of discovery. I feel like this is what I was meant to be doing in my retirement. Creating a blend of Writing and Nature Photography, to Give the Glory to God (G 3).

    Thank you for your loving and loyal support during the one year and eight months of "Walk With Father Nature".

    Love,

    Dad

    ReplyDelete
  5. Rich
    Your poetry and phototography was lovely in this poem. I looked forward to each sentence...and was not disappointed. Good work!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Mary:

    Thank you for your kind words. Your support of my writing and photography is very important to me.

    I believe I am "fanning into flame the gifts I was given" - 2 Tim. 6

    Love,

    Rich

    Love,

    Rich

    ReplyDelete

VISITORS:
Please write a comment in the white box. I value your thoughts. I will reply to all who write.

When finished, sign your name, click down arrow, select "Name/URL", or "Anonymous", then click "Publish". Thank you.