Sunday, May 27, 2012

Solomon's Splendor


























"Solomon's Splendor"


Your zig-zag stalk
arches gracefully
from forest soil
bringing nourishment
from the roots
to the leaves
reaching for sunlight.

Your alternating
deep green leaves
are elliptical
lined with distinct
parallel veins
pointing to
a tapering tip.

Your small flowers
are gathered
in a pyramid
like tiny clusters
of white stars
shining
in the shade.






Wildflower:  Solomon's Plume or False Solomon's Seal  (Smilacina recemosa)

Photo Location:  Stony Lake, Oceana County, (Oceana County)Michigan

4 comments:

  1. Thank you for posting this beautiful photo and writing about Solomon's Splendor. What a treasure to find.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Cynthia:

    This treasure was my pleasure to share with you and my readers. I am blessed to have the time to explore and spend quality time in Nature.

    Richard

    ReplyDelete
  3. Lovely prose Richard - I've the real thing in my garden rather than the false one.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Rosie:

    Are you refering to the Smooth Solomon's Seal?

    I have a 40-year old photograph of this one in the early fall; the bluish-black berries dangle gracefully from the arching stem.

    Thanks for recognizing my Botanical prose/poem.

    Richard

    ReplyDelete

VISITORS:
Please write a comment in the white box. I value your thoughts. I will reply to all who write.

When finished, sign your name, click down arrow, select "Name/URL", or "Anonymous", then click "Publish". Thank you.