Wednesday, July 31, 2013

When





When the soft
fabric of dusk
begins to wrap
around the shoulders
of summer trees...

When the swallows
and waxwings have
finished swooping
for insects
over the water...

When the fireflies
begin flashing
yellow-green
in the dark
understory...

When the bats
flutter erratically
through the
dimming sky
light...

When the evening crickets
secretly resume
their wing-ed,
scraping
static...

When the day
is slowly
introduced
to the
night...


Will you be
present, 
attentive,
and astonished,
all over again?
©  2013  Richard Havenga




4 comments:

  1. Hi Richard, I found this latest poem to be impressive indeed. Full of confident quality and senstivity - very much in harmony with the style and sensibility of work you have made your own. Always a pleasure to read your work and visit your beautiful site... All the Best to You Scott www.scotthastie.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great job on this poetry, Rich. These observations of nature are so often taken for granted or gone unnoticed; your thoughts and detailed wording of an evening setting in, really painted a vivid picture of a relaxed summer night outdoors. Thanks for sharing. -Rick

    ReplyDelete
  3. Scott:

    Thank you for recognizing the sensitivity in my writing style. Your comments always read like poetry. My confidence is elevated when I receive such words of admiration from you, an established poet from the U.K.

    Gratefully,

    Richard

    ReplyDelete
  4. Rick:

    As a photographer yourself, I know you are fully aware of all the magical imagery found in nature. Like it says in my mission statement, I want to increase people's awareness; and for my viewers to become more grateful for these gifts from God.

    Richard

    ReplyDelete

VISITORS:
Please write a comment in the white box. I value your thoughts. I will reply to all who write.

When finished, sign your name, click down arrow, select "Name/URL", or "Anonymous", then click "Publish". Thank you.