Friday, May 24, 2019

The Thicket


In early May,
the thicket thickens
with Staghorn Sumac and Honeysuckle,
with Spicebush and Elderberry.

Entwined with vines
from Wild Grape and Greenbrier. 



The ground grows thick with
Mayapple and Trillium.



Snarled with arching brambles
of Multi-flora Rose,
and tangles of Dewberry
coiling around your feet.



Overhead, two year-round residents:
a raucous Blue Jay, and the
cheerful Black-capped Chickadee.



But coming from the thicket,
new spring songs from the:



mimicking Brown Thrasher;



and shy, meowing Gray Catbird;



the bold-for-his-size 
Blue-gray Gnatcatcher
whining and wheezing;



and the secretive
Rufous-sided Towhee
who requests and suggests
that you "Drink your tea... eee..."

© 2019 Richard Havenga



Photo Locations:

1. Trillium - Lowell Township - Kent County - Michigan

2. Dewberry - Home Woods - Cannonsburg, Michigan

3. Blue Jay - Home Woods - Cannonsburg, Michigan

4. Black-capped Chickadee - Home Woods - Cannonsburg, Michigan

5. BrownThrasher - Home Woods - Cannonsburg, Michigan

6. Gray Catbird - Wabasis Lake Park - Kent County, Michigan

7. Blue Gray Gnatcatcher - Home Woods - Cannonsburg, Michigan

8. Eastern Towhee - Saul Lake Bog Nature Preserve - Land Conservancy of West Michigan - Kent County, Michigan


3 comments:

  1. "In early May, the thicket thickens..." ~ from: "the Thicket" by Poet/Photographer Richard Havenga @ Walk With Father Nature: https://walkwithfathernature.blogspot.com/2019/05/the-thicket.html

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love this one, Dad! The Rufous-sided Towhee is my favorite. I love how you wrote he "requests and suggests" that you "drink your tea-eee!" That bird call is etched in my memories from childhood. Thank you for teaching me to love birds!
    Love,
    Sarah "Bird" : )

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sarah: Some of my fondest memories are when you, Aaron, and I were outside in our yard next to the woods. I would be working, or we would be playing, and suddenly I would perk up and listen to a particular bird call, and of course bring your attention to it. Then I would try to imitate the call or song. Then you would both try. Here is the recording of the Eastern Towhee (formerly Rufous-sided Towhee - which I prefer): https://www.allaboutbirds.org/guide/Eastern_Towhee/overview
    Love, Dad

    ReplyDelete

VISITORS:
Please write a comment in the white box. I value your thoughts. I will reply to all who write.

When finished, sign your name, click down arrow, select "Name/URL", or "Anonymous", then click "Publish". Thank you.