Saturday, April 13, 2013

Heron Dreams




Heron Dreams


Twilight takes its slow turn
at pulling down the sun.
Finished feeding for this day,
broad wings stroke the evening air,
rowing steadily through the gathering dusk.
Color fading during the long flight home.

Great Blue Heron

will arrive at its roost
to start another dark night
wading in dreams of stalking prey,
or waiting for the slow turn of the earth
with a simple faith in tomorrow,
the next rising of the sun.

Always tomorrow,
to return again
as we await
the blessed hope. 
© 2013 Richard Havenga





Photo Location






4 comments:

  1. This poem is very good. I found it to be specially meaningful to my life.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This strikes me as especially lovely this morning. The entire poem captures something essential, and those first two lines are perfect.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Santiago:

    I am pleased that this poem was meaningful for your life.
    As I composed "Heron Dreams",
    it grew and gathered depth with each revision.

    Thank you for your warm response.

    Richard

    ReplyDelete
  4. Emily:

    I am humbled by your gracious comments.

    Writing "Heron Dreams" late in the evening, and again at 4am, I felt like a poet, blessed with inspiration.

    Gratefully,

    Richard

    ReplyDelete

VISITORS:
Please write a comment in the white box. I value your thoughts. I will reply to all who write.

When finished, sign your name, click down arrow, select "Name/URL", or "Anonymous", then click "Publish". Thank you.