Thursday, June 29, 2017

Starting the Day



A few miles west of here, I hear
the bells of St. Patrick's Church
announce the start of 9 o'clock mass.

Here, at Murray Lake,
I'm sitting in the grass,
my backrest is a boulder.


Small bass patrol the shallows
while shallower still, minnows
swim in schools of protection.


A Yellow Warbler is singing
"sweet-sweet-sweet, sweeter-than-sweet,"
from an arching twig of willow.

Spring has ripened into summer.
Swallows sweep low to the lake.
The morning breeze strokes the surface.



I am writing into words
what I see, hear, and feel;
bliss for my senses, 

but thinking and praying
for the home bound, the handicapped 
from St. Patrick's parish.

Offering thanks for my blessings,
as I contemplate the comfortable 
start of this new day outdoors.


© 2017 Richard Havenga

You may also enjoy: The Bells of St. Patrick's ~ May 14, 2015

Photo Locations:

1. St. Patrick Church - Parnell, Michigan

2. Murray Lake - Parnell, Michigan

3. Yellow Warbler @ Wabasis Lake - Michigan



No comments:

Post a Comment

VISITORS:
Please write a comment in the white box. I value your thoughts. I will reply to all who write.

When finished, sign your name, click down arrow, select "Name/URL", or "Anonymous", then click "Publish". Thank you.