Monday, November 4, 2019

Path Through the Leaves


I found these old words
fallen from familiar trees 
and saved them here
to be surprised in the future.

Like years of autumn leaves
pressed into the pages
of the silent books
that wait on my library shelves.


A broad Sugar Maple leaf
preserved in soft yellow
somewhere inside
William Stafford's work.



A two-lobed Sassafras leaf,
the left-handed one,
flattened on the Michigan page
of my Rand McNally.


And American Beech, my favorite,
gathered in early November;
veins precisely pinnate,
perfect for bookmarks within:



Mary Oliver, Luci Shaw,
Dan Gerber, and David Lee;
to be discovered years later,
they mark my place in time.



Hoping what I've found
will not be lost,
but saved within
the pages of books.



To recall once again
the seasons of life,
my journey with words,
my path through the leaves.
© 2019 Richard Havenga






Photo Locations:

1, 2, 3. Home Library

4. 5. Home Woods

6. Grattan Township - Kent County - Michigan

7. Fallasburg Park - Kent County - Michigan

3 comments:

  1. "...my journey with words, my path through the leaves." ~ from: "Path Through the Leaves" by Poet/Photographer Richard Havenga @ Walk With Father Nature: https://walkwithfathernature.blogspot.com/2019/11/path-through-leaves.html

    ReplyDelete
  2. Dad, you have honed your craft beautifully! This post was magnificent!
    Love,
    Sarah

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sarah:
    I have thoroughly enjoyed my "journey with words" through the many seasons of my life. I wish the same for you.
    Love,
    Dad

    ReplyDelete

VISITORS:
Please write a comment in the white box. I value your thoughts. I will reply to all who write.

When finished, sign your name, click down arrow, select "Name/URL", or "Anonymous", then click "Publish". Thank you.