Thursday, December 13, 2018

Probing


Through my side vision,
at the edge of my glasses,
I thought it was a tiny spider
walking between the drops
spattered and scattered
on the window of my library.



But turning my vision east,
to the edge of the woods;
it was a Downy Woodpecker,
hungry again,
now that the heavy rain
has let up.



He is probing
with his sharp, black beak  
between the fissures of wet bark
and among flakes of moist lichen
growing on a solid Red Oak.


I'm watching this Downy
while spotting the red spots
on his black-and-whiteness.


He's focusing on his foraging;
and now there's a pair there.

© 2018 Richard Havenga


Photo Location: Home Woods - Cannonsburg, Michigan


No comments:

Post a Comment

VISITORS:
Please write a comment in the white box. I value your thoughts. I will reply to all who write.

When finished, sign your name, click down arrow, select "Name/URL", or "Anonymous", then click "Publish". Thank you.