Monday, May 21, 2012

How I Found the Lady's Slipper





I was sinking slowly in black muck springs; up to my calves in my twelve-and-a-halves. I had already captured some photos of Cinnamon Fern:








And Buttercup:





But look too long through the lens, and the wetland will want to claim you. As I was tugging my right foot out, I felt and heard that familiar sucking sound that anglers, duck hunters and all swampwalkers recognize. The sudden release caused me to lurch, landing on a wobbly tussock too small for my big feet.

I'm sorry that I cannot combine: knee boots, graceful, and soupy muck into a believable sentence for you. But at that moment, a couple about my age approached, walking comfortably, at a good pace, on the elevated boardwalk.

They greeted me with a pleasant "Good morning", as if swampwalkers were a frequent sighting for them. Regaining a semblance of balance, I good-morning-ed them back.

"If you're a photographer," the woman said, "you should see the Pink Lady's Slippers." I climbed the support timbers, and pulled myself up to their level. While straddling the steel hand-rail, my wide boot got wedged between the steel vertical rails. The man helped me out of my predicament by nudging my foot free. I completed my hop onto the boardwalk and introduced myself. They had never heard of Father Nature before, only the legendary Mother.

So, it was Ron and Lois who explained in precise detail where to find the famous slippers. They said they walk that particular trail often, and haven't seen these orchids flowering in about five years. I have run that hilly trail through the Red Pines several times, but usually in the cool weather of autumn.

Since we were all retired, we had time to talk for awhile. They were very kind, courteous, and friendly. I could tell they loved to walk together, in quiet, natural settings. Ron and Lois, I thank you again, publicly this time, for the opportunity to observe the orchids.

Was this serendipity? No, I believe God brought us together at that place, at that time. Thank you God, for setting up the "meeting", and thank you for creating Pink Lady's Slippers.

I hope you enjoy these images.

You know who to thank.




Scattered in their habitat.






"Young Lady" in Red Pine needles.














(Click on any photo to enlarge)









Photo Location: Townsend Park, (Townsend Park)  Kent County,   Michigan

8 comments:

  1. I love the mind picture of you in the mud and the pictures are absolutely beautiful!
    Thanks!
    Christine

    ReplyDelete
  2. Christine:

    I sincerely thank you.

    I did change into my "smaller" running shoes to shoot the Lady's Slippers. I had to be ultra cautious down in the duff, so I wouldn't disturb this protected species.

    Richard

    ReplyDelete
  3. Beautiful, beautiful--that last one especially. Great post, Richard!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Emily:

    I was thrilled to find these rare wildflowers. What a treat to have the time to photograph them.

    Thanks for being a loyal follower, especially when you're busy with end of the school year schedules. Have fun in Europe with your students.

    Richard

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wow what a jewel to be led to in the woods. Just aswell you had company or you might not have got out of that swampy ground. You've taken some lovely images with that backlighting. We don't have any wildflowers quite as pretty as that though I know that about 30 miles from here someone grows yellow ladies slippers in her garden.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Rosie:

    Thank you for appreciating my photographs. I was blessed to find them.

    What an extraordinary, and complex inflorescence!

    We also have the Yellow Lady's Slippers which I discovered in NW Michigan last spring.

    Richard

    ReplyDelete
  7. A haiku, combining "knee boots", "graceful" and "soupy muck":

    knee boots stuck in mud
    squelching, slurping, soupy muck
    graceful no longer

    Great photos, Dad, and I love the story that accompanies them! Right place at the right time! And a metaphor, I think: Sometimes, in life, we have to slog through the mud before finding the treasures we seek. ; )

    Love,
    Sarah

    ReplyDelete
  8. Sarah:

    That was the best comment ever slogged into my blog. Nice work on the Haiku; powerful, active verbs. Zinsser would like them.

    I love your metaphor too. Dr. Sellers would be proud of you.

    Guess you can still out-write me.

    Love,

    Dad

    ReplyDelete

VISITORS:
Please write a comment in the white box. I value your thoughts. I will reply to all who write.

When finished, sign your name, click down arrow, select "Name/URL", or "Anonymous", then click "Publish". Thank you.